Changing <span class="highlight">Satellite</span> <span class="highlight">Phone</span> Service Providers from Pivotel to Telstra

Hi, I'm hoping that someone will be able to help me.....

I have recently acquired a Motorola 9505a satellite phone that was previously connected to the Pivotel network, and I want to use this phone with my existing Telstra SIM card. Hence I would like to change service providers from Pivotel to Telstra.

Is it just a matter of going into a telstra shop and getting the phone changed, or is there more to it? Am I stuck with organising a Pivotel plan? Have searched various areas looking for information without success.

Cheers, Geoff
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Joe Grace Doomadgee - Saturday, Sep 04, 2010 at 20:03

Saturday, Sep 04, 2010 at 20:03
is the "existing" sim card active ???
Have you tried it in it, some sim cards from mobiles simply plug n play ..... meaning you can have it in your mobile and remove it and insert it in the sat phone and it works, charges the call back to the same account as the mobile but at the sat phone rates (expensive...) ....
Heaps of info re doing this on various forums ......
AnswerID: 429374

Reply By: George_M - Saturday, Sep 04, 2010 at 20:27

Saturday, Sep 04, 2010 at 20:27
As JGD said, if you already have a post-paid Telstra sim, with International Roaming activated, then pop it in to your Motorola 9595A and start making/receiving calls.

Just be carefull about costs - Telstra will charge you about $4.00 for incoming AND outgoing calls.

George_M
Come any closer and I'll rip your throat out!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 429376

Follow Up By: George_M - Saturday, Sep 04, 2010 at 20:37

Saturday, Sep 04, 2010 at 20:37
..and that would be about $4.00 per minute, both ways.
Come any closer and I'll rip your throat out!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 700144

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff M (VIC) - Saturday, Sep 04, 2010 at 20:50

Saturday, Sep 04, 2010 at 20:50
Hi George & Joe

Thanks very much for your replies - I tried my wife's SIM and the phone worked fine. My mistake - thought my phone had international roaming but obviously it doesn't. DOH.

I knew that the call costs are expensive - the plan for the phone is to carry for emergency use only. I know that we can send/receive messages - any idea on the cost for these?

Thanks again, Geoff
FollowupID: 700145

Reply By: Member - reggy 2 (VIC) - Saturday, Sep 04, 2010 at 20:53

Saturday, Sep 04, 2010 at 20:53
Hi Geoff
There's a big diff in the cost between pivotel iridium and telstra iridium and you can't put it to sleep on telstra I was told pivotel is $2-85 min
but as said you can use your mobile card in the sat phone
cheers reggy2
AnswerID: 429377

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff M (VIC) - Saturday, Sep 04, 2010 at 21:30

Saturday, Sep 04, 2010 at 21:30
Hi Reggy2

Thanks for the reply - plan to use my (or my wife's) SIM card in the phone as it will be only for emergency use.

Cheers, Geoff
FollowupID: 700149

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Sep 04, 2010 at 22:07

Saturday, Sep 04, 2010 at 22:07
Peter D will probably correct me but the 1 and only call I made on my 9505A cost exactly $3.77 for a 1 minute call

I believe messages are about 75c.
If somone rings you when card is in the satfone it will cost you the same to receive it as make it.
It is for the diversion to the Iridium service and hence what they charge Testra for the service.
DONT GO NEAR TELSTRA Just do it. They will tell you it wont work and want you to go on a plan for $30 a month plus calls.

There is a new player in the field called INDIGO which only charge about $1.50 a minute but you have to have a plan for $20 a month and they use different phones to Iridium
They however use a satellite positioned above Singapore called GO so not too sure about reception in southern areas.

I did actually speak to them about it so the figures are genuine.

Had I used them for the two years I had my phone it would have cost me $483.77 instead of the $3.77 it did cost

Just use the sim and be happy It works despite what the doubters say

AnswerID: 429381

Follow Up By: Member - John R (cQld) - Sunday, Sep 05, 2010 at 12:40

Sunday, Sep 05, 2010 at 12:40
"satellite positioned above Singapore called GO" - odd, in their ad (Road Ahead) Indigo say they use the Thuraya 3 satellite and phones, Graham. As discussed in this forum before, Thuraya is marginal in SE Aust (only about 20 degrees above horizon).
I agree though, use Telstra sim IF you already have a post-paid plan with them.

Cheers, John
FollowupID: 700176

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Sep 05, 2010 at 13:17

Sunday, Sep 05, 2010 at 13:17
I specifically asked the woman I spoke to as to whether they used the Globalsh++ satellite and her words were exactly.

"No we have our own which is stationed above Singapore and is called GO"

SO I can only repeat what she said. I know they use Thuraya phones.

Whether she meant our own as in Thuraya I dont know.

Yes the further south you go the worse it is.

Same as satellite TV its harder to tune in SA and places like Augusta.

For the huge difference in my cost I wouldnt bother.

FollowupID: 700181

Follow Up By: Member - John R (cQld) - Sunday, Sep 05, 2010 at 18:27

Sunday, Sep 05, 2010 at 18:27
Perhaps "GO" is just industry slang for "Geostationary Orbit" (or "Geostationary Operational Environmental Satellite")?? And saying it's over Singapore is better than over Indonesia?

Cheers, John
FollowupID: 700207

Reply By: marq - Saturday, Sep 04, 2010 at 23:41

Saturday, Sep 04, 2010 at 23:41
trtelecom.com - $30/m minimum 4 months
AnswerID: 429385

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Sunday, Sep 05, 2010 at 00:07

Sunday, Sep 05, 2010 at 00:07
And the cheapest call costs, no indial cost ( to you) and you can turn it off or on, on a daily basis.

If you keep the number it is 50c per day unused ot $10 per day used. On a day to day basis

I learned abou ti on this forum and 10 times better than using a telstra sim.
FollowupID: 700152

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Sep 05, 2010 at 09:23

Sunday, Sep 05, 2010 at 09:23
So tell me this, you are in the middle of nowhere and have the service turned off to save costs and you need to use it. How do you get the service turned on again.

I realise you would probably get it turned on before leaving civilisation but it could happen.

And $10 A DAY to use it Cheaper than a Telstra sim?????????????

I dont think so.

As I said I have had mine for two years with a total cost of $3.77

How is anything cheaper than that.

FollowupID: 700155

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Sep 06, 2010 at 10:45

Monday, Sep 06, 2010 at 10:45
Graham H.

It takes about 15 mins for them to turn it on or off after you call them. I think you can call 24 x 7 but it might be business hours. I turn it on when I am leaving civilization then off when I return.

Also thanks for pointing out my typo.

I should have said 0.50c per day that is is not activated and $1.00 per day when it is. And you get $0.33C per day call credit accumulated on a monthly basis.

In other words if you left it on for the month it would cost $30 with $10 credit. No incoming costs.

FollowupID: 700268

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Monday, Sep 06, 2010 at 11:03

Monday, Sep 06, 2010 at 11:03
Yeah thought so for the charge but.

For my 2 years it would have cost a minimum of $15 a month to have it NOT turned on. plus the $1 a day for the few days I had it on.

So that is $360 for nothing.

Mine cost nearly 100 times less at $3.77 and it was turned on if and when I needed it.

Cant see the logic in going with them unless you spent all the time having to have it on and even then a sim would be cheaper unless you made calls every day for a lengthly period.

Everyone to their own I guess but cant see the sense in paying for nothing.

Cheers looks like the OP is going with a sim anyway

FollowupID: 700269

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Sep 06, 2010 at 11:42

Monday, Sep 06, 2010 at 11:42
Sorry Graham I didin't fully reply to your post.

I realize that the Telstra option is a good option for some. As you say you have only had a total bill for $3.77 for the one minute call you have made.

However as you can imagine everyone's situation is different. I recall from another post that your call was a short test one, fair enough. I used the telstra sim in my Sat phone too for a while however it turned out to be less attractive that it appears when you actually start to use it.

The biggest problem was that I could not filter incoming calls. In fact the caller ID doesn't work on the sat phone so if you want incoming calls at all you have to answer them to know who it is. Ka Ching $4.00

My outgoing bill was minimal but I found that I had to either accept an outragous incoming bill or turn it off all the time. So in that respect it limits that Satphone to a one way service. For me that is almost useless. The big issue is incoming callers don't care ( or know) that you are paying $4.00 per minute and call you for important things like to sell you cheap energy for your home. It was really useless and frustrating and made me search for a better option. To give you an idea, your Sat phone will ring just as frequently as your mobile does whn you are home.

If you want a super emergency outgoing only service that is one step up from a SPOT or EPIRB with no incrimental cost then the Telstra card may be attractive. However if you want a 2 way service that is on all the time you are traveling, and callers will only specifically call you for proper reasons then IMHO the TR Telecom can't be beat for value.

The other interesting side note is that when you have a real emergency, like I recently had in the simpson where I had to call for a doctor for someone, you may find that you end up spending about 40 mins or more on the phone.

With TR Telecom for that month my bill for 43 mins was $92.66 ( call costs were $86.00,and I had it activated for 10 days and $3.33 credit). If I was still on Telstra that bill would have been about $172. Of course in cases like that the price is secondary but for this year the costs will end up being about the same.

I guess my point is 50c per day when not in use, and $1.00 when in use for a true 2 way sat phone is better value for me than a free one that can only make outgoing calls. Each to their own but something for people looking at both options to consider before they go away.

FollowupID: 700270

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Monday, Sep 06, 2010 at 11:55

Monday, Sep 06, 2010 at 11:55
Fair enough but as only about 4 people know my mobile number and were told to ring my wifes number I wouldnt have answered it anyway.

I do take your point about talking to the doctor.

We had it in the hope we would never have to use it.

Luckily we didnt apart from the day we were running very late and had forgotten about time zone change.

Will be interested to see what it has cost my mate who used his sim in it on a recent crossing of the Simpson.

He just used it as a quick call each night home and didnt accept inward calls either.

Cheers I have sold it so no more worries.

FollowupID: 700272

Reply By: Member - Geoff M (VIC) - Sunday, Sep 05, 2010 at 20:16

Sunday, Sep 05, 2010 at 20:16
Thanks everyone for your replies. Tested the phone with the wife's SIM and it works a treat. Don't need a plan as we intend to use the phone as a backup/emergency.

Cheers, Geoff
AnswerID: 429459

Reply By: Mike DiD - Tuesday, Sep 07, 2010 at 10:32

Tuesday, Sep 07, 2010 at 10:32
Motorola Satphones are not tied to one network and will work with any Iridium-capable SIMcard.
AnswerID: 429594

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff M (VIC) - Tuesday, Sep 07, 2010 at 10:37

Tuesday, Sep 07, 2010 at 10:37
Thanks Mike, problem was with my SIM card. Works fine now.
FollowupID: 700369

Sponsored Links